Coughing is such a serious matter because it can do serious and permanent damage to your lungs, bronchioles and vocal chords; it produces a lot of chronic inflammation, irritation, and free radicals throughout your body, which will take its toll on my health over an extended period of time. Not only can bronchitis escalate into something more serious like pneumonia, but it can leave us weak, exhausted, and vulnerable for more serious degenerative illness over time.
I’ve divided the article in 3 for easy access:
The Best Essential Oils For Cough and Bronchitis Are:
Bill Fifield an expert in the matter with more than 15 years training thousands in the safe in-home uses of therapeutic essential oils recommends the following:
– Bronchitis is not a temporary thing that ends when the coughing stops and the antibiotic prescription runs out. It must be healed promptly, deeply and completely. Here’s what I do when I have a cold that begins to escalate into coughing:
– I continue the steam treatments I started at the first sign of a cold, both in hot therapeutic baths each evening using essential oils and Epsom salts and also steamy showers with an essential oil diffuser in the same room for about 20 minutes each morning before I leave for work.
– If I begin to cough at work, I’ve found that a convenient mug of warm aromatic water will quickly calm my coughing. I fill a thermos of hot tap water and put in a drop of Spearmint or Basil oil. These calming anti-inflammatory oils are soothing and also flavorful.
– When I’ve had bronchitis, it’s been common for me to start a convulsive coughing spell shortly after I lie down for the night. I use diluted Peppermint oil on the area along with the cold washcloth and cover it with a dry towel. It stops the coughing by cooling the inflamed bronchioles that tickle and trigger the coughing.
– I also apply a lot of oils topically, especially after my shower and bath while my skin is moist and the oils are most easily absorbed.
Essential Oil Recipes For Cough
List of essential oil blends to use with your diffuser
Use your List of essential oil blends with roller bottles
Dr. Daniel Penoel, who trained me in the medical uses of essential oils taught me that I needed to keep up all my aromatic habits for at least 10 days after I feel completely well. During this time, only a list of essential oils for breathing difficulties like the ones we mentioned here are required to use. Happy Trails! 🙂