When we talk of wellbeing enhancement, we start off by talking about a more familiar concept. Health. We’re all familiar with the words, “Health is Wealth”. But we don’t really know what all can be covered under the roof of health. So, it is essential to ask this fundamental question –
What exactly is health?
The best answer to this, was given by the World Health Organization, which said-
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
So, one thing we can easily gauge, is that good health has nothing to do with the absence of disease and everything to do with all-round wellbeing! Until and unless there is complete wellbeing in all aspects of life, we cannot be healthy.
As explained by medical, social and behavioural sciences, wellbeing is a holistic approach. Physical, emotional, mental and social wellbeing, come as a combination. We cannot have any one element singularly and be healthy.
Let us look at each form of wellbeing separately and then as a whole.
• Physical wellbeing is a combination of physical fitness, mental balance and emotional strength. It talks about the human ability to pull through the problems in life, which can only be achieved through an overall state of wellness.
• Physical wellbeing does not imply that one has to be in absolute shape and free of all ailments. That only counts as fitness. Physical wellbeing would imply that even if we are not in top notch shape, we are fit enough to carry out all the activities without strain.
• There are various Olympic level athletes, who are astoundingly fit, physically. But they lack in overall wellbeing due to the high level of strain they put their body through.
• Wellbeing is about balance. Hence, physical wellbeing is about having a balanced physical aspect.
• The same rules of physical wellbeing apply here, but from the perspective of mental health. Simply because we have no known mental disorder of illness, does not ensure mental wellbeing.
• We all go through stress in daily life. So, getting worked up isn’t wrong. But when we are unable to deal with the stress, it is a sign of low mental wellbeing.
• A person can only be mentally well, if he is able to go through life’s stresses with a stable approach and not get paranoid or lose his calm about every little thing, then we can say that he has achieved wellbeing.
• Another important aspect is the control of ones emotions and behaviour in a social situation. It is directly related to one’s mental health.
• Social wellbeing is the extent to which a person feels a sense of attachment and belonging to the society. The people around him and his relations with them are defined here.
• It is a state where emotional needs are met and there is harmony among people from different walks of life.
• A person’s social wellbeing can be judged from the way he involves himself into the pool of people from different cultural, socio-economic and religious backgrounds.
• When a person has a superiority or inferiority complex, with respect to the people around him, it is a sign of low social wellbeing.
• It is characterized by, equal access to and delivery of basic needs services (water, food, shelter, and health services), the provision of primary and secondary education, the return or resettlement of those displaced by violent conflict, and the restoration of social fabric and community life.
• Man is a social animal and so social wellbeing is absolutely essential to his overall wellbeing.
• Once again, social wellbeing is impossible to achieve without physical and mental wellbeing.
When there is wellbeing in all the above three aspects, we can hope to achieve excellent health and also look towards better life and prospects.
To give you an overview about what overall wellbeing can mean, listed below are some points picked from the lives of highly functional individuals. Before you read the list, please note, these are not qualities related necessarily to celebrities or business tycoons or anybody famous. These are experiences that people from all walks of life have, when they achieve wellbeing.
1. Greater strength to deal with situations
2. A more practical and functional approach to life
3. Peace of mind and self-satisfaction
4. Higher work efficiency
5. Fruitful personal lives
6. Better concentration and greater problem solving abilities
7. A better social status and standing
8. Amazing interpersonal relationships
When it comes to wellbeing enhancement, a very effective factor is having a life coach. Someone who can inspire you to be the best version of you. This helps greatly and leads to better and quicker results too.