Aromatherapy and the use of essential oils continues to be one of the preferred alternative methods of healing and wellbeing in this COVID19 season for those who want to be safe, naturally. Essentials oils are extracted from plants, bark, flowers, fruits, and other botanicals to yield a highly concentrated therapeutic grade oil. There are many different types of essential oils for good health, including, but not limited to lavender, eucalyptus, lemongrass, tea tree, jasmine, and many others. You can check out my article about the most common essential oils to start with or also how to use essential oils safely.
Citrus essential oils offer a variety of health benefits and these oils typically cost less than other oils like lavender, and rose oil.
Varieties Of Citrus Essential Oils
Extracts of these fruits all fall under the category of citrus essential oils:
The oil is cold pressed from the rind of the fruit to yield a 100% pure therapeutic grade oil. Some of their health benefits include the ability to neutralize acid in the body and promote immune system health that in turn helps us fight infections, bacteria, and viruses better, including stay strong against covid19.
All these essential oils, like the fruits from which they are derived, are full of healthy antioxidants and other beneficial nutrients. Citrus essential oils also promote natural energy; they are uplifting and have anti-depressant qualities.
Lemon oil has a fresh, sweet, and citrusy scent.
Healing Properties: Lemon essential oil is uplifting and can help with depression. It is energizing, antiseptic, and antibacterial, and supports immune system health.
It can help sore throats when gargled in a water and salt mixture. The lemon essential oil has astringent and detoxifying properties that can increase luster in dull skin and its antiseptic properties help treat and control acne, and oily skin and help with other skin disorders.
Lemon essential oil is calming and can help with fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, and nervousness. It promotes a good mood and helps to eradicate negative emotions.
When inhaled from an aromatherapy diffuser it can increase concentration and alertness, a great option for the office desk.
Lemon essential oil is high in vitamins and antioxidants, like vitamin C and therefore boosts immunity and stimulates white blood cells that fight disease. Lemon oil can also promote healthy blood circulation in the body.
2. Lime Essential Oil (buy here)
Lime oil has a sweet, refreshing, stimulating, intense, and tart scent, just like fresh limes!
Healing Properties: Lime oil is an antiseptic that can cure infections and protect against them.
- As a topical application, lime essential oil can cure minor skin wounds like rashes. It also helps psoriasis.
- When consumed it can help with infections of the mouth, colon, throat, stomach, and urinary tract. Lime oil can also help alleviate respiratory infections, such as bronchitis, flu, coughs, and is effective as a home cold remedy.
- As an antiviral, lime essential oil can help fight and protect against viral infections that cause colds, measles, and mumps. Its astringent qualities help to cure toothaches and strengthen the gums. Additionally, it can help diarrhea and can stop hemorrhaging by contracting blood vessels.
- Lime essential oil is also activates the secretion of digestive juices to promote hunger and stimulate the appetite, something that can be especially helpful for those with serious diseases where appetite is a problem, such as cancer.
- As a bactericidal, lime essential oil can be used to treat bacterial infections, like cholera. It helps fight internal bacterial infections in the stomach, and urinary tract as well as those of an external nature on the skin.
3, Mandarin Essential Oil (Buy Here)
Mandarin oil also has a sweet, tangy citrusy smell, just like the fresh fruit!
Healing Properties: Mandarin essential oil helps alleviate stress, and can boost mood and energy. The oil helps heal stretch marks, especially when blended with another essential oil like lavender, or frankincense. It heals other skin problems, like spots, scars, and can help control oily skin. It is used in home remedies for hiccups and indigestion.
4. Grapefruit Oil (Buy Here)
Grapefruit has a fresh citrusy energizing scent.
Healing Properties: diuretic, stimulant, anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, cleanses the kidneys, vascular and lymphatic systems.
5. Orange Essential Oil (Buy Here)
Orange oil smells like oranges and is therefore sweet and fruity.
Healing Properties: Orange essential oil contains limonene that has been proven in studies to prevent cancer. Its scent promotes happiness and good feelings as it uplifts mood and promotes energy. It promotes healthy digestion and contains both anti-coagulant and anti-tumoral properties. The essential oil can also help dull and oily skin to be healthier and more vibrant.
Like other citrus essential oils, orange oil is high in the antioxidant vitamin C which promotes a healthy immune system to keep the body well-defended against disease and infections.
6. Tangerine Essential Oil (Buy Here)
Tangerine oil also smells like the fruit it’s made from, sweet, juicy, and calming.
Healing Properties: Tangerine essential oil has a calming effect and blends perfectly with lavender to help with sleep, stress, anger, anxiety, and to induce relaxation. The extract can help with fluid retention when blended with a carrier oil like coconut and rubbed on the feet.
Citrus essential oils can be used topically but not at full strength, they need to be diluted with a carrier oil before applying to the skin or else they can cause burns. Always check with your physician before using essential oils or any natural remedy to be sure that it does not interfere with any current treatment protocols.